To Preface-Tonight was a tough night...at one point in time the majority of our house was in tears. A parent, who shall remain nameless, was overheard saying "Lord give me patience or wine but you can't leave me with neither!" These nights are rare thankfully.
But it was because of this tough night that I was sitting in Camren's room rocking her to sleep so that I could feed her (yes, that is a little backwards!) that I sat there thinking...thinking about myself, my kids, my husband, who I am as Mom (or Bobpy as Jax says) and what that's taught me.
Jaxon has taught me flexibility (yes Mom and Beth...I have learned this!). He has also taught me to laugh until I cry. Other things I've learned from my Big Boy--car dancing can cure any kind of bad mood. Sometimes a grilled cheese is all it takes to make a person happy. He's taught me to watch-really pay attention-to what I say and how to stand my ground (stubborn little boy!) or when to let go. Anything that I was ever proud of will NEVER compare to how proud I am to hear him call my name, kiss his sister or do the happy dance when Daddy gets home. Jax has taught me that I am stronger than I ever believed I could be and to love harder than I ever thought possible.
Camren--my sweet girl. Cam's taught me that it's possible to cry until you laugh. That all pain is bearable if you smile...a really big cheesy smile. She has taught me that I am a fighter for my children--no rules, gloves off, eye-gouging, get outta this Mama's way Fighter. Little's has taught me to trust my Mommy-instincts. That sometimes a really good giggle followed by an equally good cuddle are enough to get through a day (who needs to eat right Cam?)
Both of my adorable offspring have taught me that while I am strong, everyone needs help and parenting is a team sport! Everyday they teach me that my Love for them will get big...bigger than I can fathom, bigger than sometimes fits in my body...Big. I look at the world differently, at people and children differently. And while I may still not be a model citizen (I spit gum out of my window today) the most attentive friend (there are people I haven't called back for years) or best housekeeper (no explanation needed here huh?) I know that my kids have/are changing me to be a better person and the Mom that they need.
Now for that glass of wine ;-)

No comments:
Post a Comment