Friday, January 9, 2009

Huh??? 32 weeks??





Happy Friday all! Hopefully you've enjoyed a quick week-and if not...TGIF!  
Yesterday was our regularly scheduled 2 week Dr appt along with an ultrasound to see how Mr. Jaxon has been growing.  And what we found out is that the boy is definitely growing! (this is where it gets a little confusing, so I'll try my best to clear it up--however I was probably the most confused, so no promises!)
The ultrasound tech takes measurements of Jaxon's major body parts (head, belly, legs...) and the average of those measurements give us a rough estimate of His development and fetal age. (which is different than the gestational age, which is how long I've been pregnant.)  The last time we visited Jax, he was measuring about 3 weeks ahead of the pregnancy (when I was 24 weeks and he jumped to 27 weeks)  He continued the growing trend this time as well.  While I am still stuck back at 28 weeks pregnant--our guy is measuring at 32 weeks in development-measuring at 19 inches and weighing 4lbs! (and his head alone measured at 34 weeks!!! Thank you Simmons' for that one!)  This all to say that he is about a month ahead of schedule growth wise and our midwife is expecting a BIG baby.  She does not want to change my actual due date (I know... there have been soo many) from the 30th of March because the first ultrasound (at 8 weeks) is by far the most accurate as far as pregnancy length and fetal age at that point.  As we get farther along, babies-like "real people"-grow at different rates. (margin of error is about +/- 5 ounces right now.)  
So the plan of action is:  We will keep monitoring his growth with yet another ultrasound (how lucky are we that we get to take so many peaks at our boy before meeting him) to determine if his growth rate will continue or if it is just a spurt.  More than likely he will continue on this pattern.  If that is the case, I will then be induced once I hit term.  Term pregnancy is considered anywhere from 37-40 weeks.  The reason for induction at 37 weeks is that first of all--he will be smaller in size for a natural delivery and the rates of shoulder dystocia (where they get stuck) and breathing problems go up when babies are bigger and get to marinate longer.  Induction will be the safer route for the both of us.  If March 30 is considered "term" or 40 weeks- then we can expect that Jaxon will make his arrival sometime in the first half of March (around the 9th).  That's a whole lot sooner than it sounds!!
I've added some of the great close ups we got of Jax this time around--he IS his father's (ok and mother's) son and Loves to mug it up for the camera! The tech kept commenting on how much he likes his picture to be taken..=)  Hopefully the pictures are much more clear thanks to a wonderful Christmas gift-new computer and scanner! (thanks Bob and Kelly) Enjoy!!!
much love,
Justin, Robin, and Jaxon (aka The Beast!)

No comments: